Read these 6 Taking Online Relationships Offline Tips tips to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. Each tip is approved by our Editors and created by expert writers so great we call them Gurus. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Relationship tips and hundreds of other topics.
Successful relationships depend on good communication to keep them strong. This is especially important when laying the ground work for a new relationship:
· Avoid blame and judgment. Explain what you thought and how you felt without assigning responsibility to the other person for your reactions.
· Do not make assumptions. You seldom truly know why someone did whatever occurred. The conclusions you make will be based on your past experiences throughout life vs. the other person's perspective.
· Don't let your emotions dictate your behavior. Feelings are important and should be acknowledged. However, do not react to whatever is triggered. Instead, make a purposeful decision about how to respond.
· Listen! Pay attention instead of planning your defense strategy while the other person is talking.
Internet dating allows you to post your own unique dating profile. You remain in control at all times. With that in mind, first date advice starts at this beginning point. You can increase the chance of success by remembering one simple tip: Always be honest.
Do not lie. Be genuine. Be yourself. Online dating success relies on representing yourself for who you really are. The anonymity of the Internet allows people to embellish, leave things out, or even just create a whole new person. Inevitably, a first date will not work out when the people finally meet in person. It's much better to be up front with who you are and what you're looking for. This attracts the kind of people you want to meet. Even if you get fewer responses, the chances of a date working out and moving to a second date are greater.
Whether writing your dating profile, posting your dating pictures, participating in online conversations or when you meet in person - representing your true self increases your chance of a successful outcome. Make sure your dating pictures are current and accurately show how you appear. Although not the sole component, physical attraction is important. Investing time and energy, while becoming interested and hopeful, makes no sense unless you are promoting you.
Also, be truthful in your dating profile. Clearly state who you are and what you're looking for. This serves to attract the kind of people you want to meet, increasing the chances of a connection and a successful date.
It is important to have a sense of what your first date activities will entail before determining what to wear. If you can't narrow it down to specifics, at least try to discern how formal the atmosphere will be. It is generally better to be over vs. under-dressed, so if you have to guess err on that side of matters. One exception, if you have scheduled a day time event things will automatically be more casual.
Particular to women, be careful about dressing sexy. It is natural to want to appear attractive when first meeting someone. However, given the person does not know you very well, a lot of assumptions will be made according to how you present yourself. If you believe you are interested in becoming sexual with this person fairly quickly, there may be no problem with communicating this idea through your choice in dress. If, on the other hand, you want to go slow you may inadvertently contribute to creating a situation you don't want to have to deal with.
The activity you chose when you first meet in person should be something you are comfortable doing. Furthermore, it needs to allow conversation for you to determine if you will be getting together for a second date. A few top choices include:
· Dinner: Dinner can be as casual or romantic as you want it to be. Determine this in part based on how well you have gotten to know your date through your online time together. Also keep in mind expense. This is one of the more pricey choices.
· Dancing: Dancing is a lot of fun and a great way to break down barriers. Remember you should be comfortable with whatever first date activity you agree to. Therefore, if you do not like dancing or are incredibly self-conscious, this is not a good choice.
· Going for a Walk: Walking is free, it allows lots of conversation, and it comes more naturally to most of us then dancing. If you have a favorite place or are fortunate enough to live somewhere with natural beauty, this is a great idea. Beaches, parks, waterfronts, and mountains are ideal.
The beginning stage of a relationship can be stressful. However, don't let your anxiety about what to wear or say make you forget to plan for safety. When you are meeting someone for the first time, this needs to be a consideration. Even if you feel like you know this person because of Internet dating time together, taking some simple precautions is a good idea. Things such as driving separately, letting a friend know where you will be, and containing your first date activities to a public place are easy strategies you can employ.
Internet dating safety can be maintained with some simple planning. Once you've chatted online and spoken for quite some time on the phone, meeting in person is the next step. If you've determined you are ready to move to this level, exercise this first date advice: